It’s that time of year and the hype train is accelerating to full speed. It’s Christmas for us gamers and I wanted to take the time to reflect on why E3 2018 might be the greatest E3 in recent memory.
E3 has had its great moments, the Playstation conference in 2015 with the trifecta of Last Guardian, Shenmue 3, and Final Fantasy 7 Remake let everyone know that dreams do come true. The Twilight Princess reveal for the Gamecube is fondly remembered as one of the greatest trailers of all time. 2018 however, is poised to be the greatest lineup ever. With this generation of consoles coming to full maturity and the gaming audience bigger than ever, I think we will see closures to stories started years past as well as new reveals that will make this E3 great. Without further ado let’s make a list.
- Fifa 19 – Fifa 18 was a complete letdown to the community. It’ll be interesting to see what kind of changes are made for this annual series.
- Battlefield V – I don’t personally love the BF series, but it’s hugely popular and the return to WWII is highly anticipated.
- Anthem – We know very little about this game, and recently the “deaths” of Mass Effect, Dead Space, and Dragon Age does not bode well for this new IP, but it’s going to be the biggest game at EA this year.
- Fallout 76 – So much teasing, decent amount of rumors. The Fallout series is always solid.
- Rage 2 – Rumored to be a reworked sequel to Mad Max. Rage and Mad Max both had interesting ideas – we can hope they mesh well.
- Tomb Raider 3 – Polished and solid, we will see more of this game at E3.
- Kingdom Hearts 3 – Demos and trailers are dropping, 2018 is the year this game finally comes out.
- Final Fantasy 7 – Will we get the first update since 2016?
- Dragon Quest XI – Already out in Japan.
- Spiderman – Sucker Punch has been working on it all generation. Marvel hype is high now, time to ride it.
- Last of Us: Part 2 – The best game of last generation, Naughty Dog hasn’t let us down in decades.
- Ghost of Tsushima – Will it play like Onimusha? Nioh? Lots of mysteries to unveil this year.
- Dreams – Media Molecule’s creator game. Very curious about the possibilities.
- “Shadows Die Twice” – From Software’s next big game. If it’s anything like Bloodborne or Dark Souls, it’s going to be amazing.
- Valkyria Chronicles 4 – Acclaimed strategy game, demo already exists, we need to see more.
- Red Dead Redemption 2 – We haven’t seen any gameplay yet. We need to see it.
- Death Stranding – Hideo Kojima’s first venture away from Konami. We’ve seen a lot of trailers already. We’ll get another one.
- Super Smash Bros Switch – Somehow this game might below away everything else on this list.
- Bayonetta 3 – Teased at the Game Awards, Nintendo needs to bulk up it’s lineup for 2018.
- Metroid 4 – Is it time to see gameplay of this game? Hope so.
- Star Fox: Grand Prix – This game is pretty much confirmed, but what is it?
- Days Gone, Yoshi, Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey, etc.
- Doom 2 – The first game on this list that’s not confirmed. The first Doom was a runaway success and now is the time to announce this game before this generation ends.
- Halo 6 – Xbox needs to bring it’s big guns.
- Gears of War 5 – Same as above, although the series is getting very stale. Needs a change like God of War.
- Rocksteady’s next game. Will it be about Superman as rumored?
- Hitman 2 – The first Hitman was a huge success, time to cash in.
- Avengers – We all know that Square Enix has been working on this. With Infinity War coming out this year, this game needs to come out before Robert Downey Jr.’s career as Tony Stark comes to an end in theaters.
- Devil May Cry 5 – The return of Dante for the first time in this generation
- Cyberpunk 2077 – CD Projekt Red is an amazing studio and proved it with the Witcher series. A step to the future will be amazing.
- Animal Crossing Switch – It’s been a while since the last AC. The Switch is the perfect console for this type of experience.
I’m sure I’ve forgotten a few, but even if only the confirmed games make a showing this would be an amazing E3.